Followers

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Must Reinstate the Scrapbook Diet!

The stash is becoming overwhelming even to me...the happy collector! Finally today, I actually got a couple of layouts done and used some of the stash I've been collecting while not scrapping for awhile. I was so happy to break open some of the stamps, open some stickles, cut up some paper, open those flower packages and use some of that ink in those pens and get some completed layouts! I actually felt giddy after my first completion!! Sooooo, how am I going to do this diet. The easiest thing I can come up with is to give myself and allowance per layout completed. Now, those of you who know me, know that I could never go cold turkey.....at least not when it comes to scrap supplies. Tell me a baby is on the way, and I can give up my caffiene in a milisecond, but that won't work here. Soooooo, here is my point system in a nutshell. For every layout completed I'm putting $5 in my scrap-allowance. If I had to purchase a new item to complete the layout, then I only get $2.50. The only exceptions to this rule (meaning the allowance deduction does not occur) is cardstock and items purchase to complete a gift that will be given within 4 weeks. I can't blow my allowance by telling myself that I'm buying it to make a Christmas gift for someone!LOL I know myself well enough, that I would totally use that excuse. I must know the specific person and occasion, and it must be happening within 4 weeks of the purchase.

I'm so impressed with all the people I know purging their goods. Like Erin, so awesome that she took this cue from Ali in her AEzine. I'm just not ready to let go of the material goods yet. I must try and give myself a chance to use them! I bought this stuff with love and intention, and it somehow inspired me to think of an idea....or at least hand over some cash, so I should try and put it together. I can't let that time and money be a waste! Wish me luck!

Are you meeting your goals with using what you have on hand? How are you going to get creative, use that stash and not let it all go to waste? Share!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not buying scrap products would go against my nature as a human being. It can't be done. I'd go insane...plus I'd probably put several LSS and online scrap stores out of business if I stopped. It's my duty to keep buying...something about keeping the economy growing in the US or something...

Rebecca said...

Challenges challenges! That's how I use up my stash, love me some challenges :)

Well, I haven't scrapped in months and all my purchases are sitting in the same bags they came in, stacked on my cropper that I haven't opened, but that doesn't mean I don't love a good challenge lol

JoAnn V. (http://joboogie.typepad.com) said...

gosh, i started my scrapbook diet a month ago and it went down the toilet a week later. *lol*

I'd love to purge but I can't seem to part with anything - call it the packrat in me. *lol*

good luck to you with your spending! I gave it a try, but you already know how it went. hahaha.

Anonymous said...

you're so funny! i love your inventive *diet* and wish you much luck!!! hey- you got 2 los completed at nsd and using your own stuff too, that was very cool!!! and i believe you broke out those new stamps twice!!! you go girl!

Krista Lund said...

i love your diet, laurie. i've been pretty good about scrapping and using my stash. will i ever stop buying product? no way! i find that the more i scrap, the more i buy, but lately i have been scrapping more than buying and that makes me feel good :)

Anonymous said...

i am right there with you!! trying to purge. it's a lot and i hate giving up my cute stuff...but i totally hear ya!!