Followers

Saturday, September 03, 2005

There sure are a lot of pots and kettles in this world!

Everyone has heard the phrase about the pot calling the kettle black right? While I was reading my favorite message board, I’ve seen this phrase and other similar ones thrown around left and right. It got me to thinking. There sure are a lot of pots and kettles out there. It really seems that in every aspect of our lives, there is a ton of finger pointing going on.

What really got me started on this was a post about people of a certain religion not following the golden rule. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. (Matthew 7:12) What really struck me is that this person is spouting off the golden rule, but I guess she forgot to read everything else in that chapter of the Bible. For example: Do not judge or you too will be judged? For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. (Matthew 7:1-5) Then in private, when I called her on that point, she came back with….yep, you guessed it, more finger pointing.

It is always someone else’s fault! I didn’t really mean to pull this one person out and use her as the example, but it is a prime example of what’s going on in the world today. Nobody wants to accept responsibility for anything. If someone loses their job, it was because their boss was an arse, or they didn’t treat them fairly, it’s never because they were not doing their job. If someone is ordering something and they wait until the last minute before they need it, it’s still the provider’s fault that they didn’t get it in time, forget the fact that the provider clearly told them it was x number of days and they were leaving in x minus five days.

This is clearly going on with the horrible hurricane Katrina efforts. Everyone is pointing a finger at someone else about all the chaos and human and animal devastation. It’s the Presidents fault for not getting help there more quickly. It’s the residents fault for not evacuating when they were told to. Back and forth, it’s not helping anything. Clearly there have been plenty of mistakes on both sides of the coin, but is it really the time for political posturing? Should the democrats and republicans be spending all this time pointing fingers at one another? I think that at this point everyone just needs to pull together and take care of the people and the animals. G might be heading down to NO to help with the cleanup and rescue. I’m not real overjoyed by this, but if he can help and they need to send him, then so be it. The thing that scares me the most is all the lawlessness going on. I am totally behind them for going into abandoned stores and taking food, clothing, blankets, and the things they need to survive, but HELLO, what are you going to do with that television or laptop computer? I know that people are in desperate times and want help immediately, but with the magnitude of issues and people who need attention, it’s going to take time.

Anyway, back to my original topic, I am by no means the perfect little angel, when it comes to this pot and kettle business. I am truly trying to recognize though when I do my own finger pointing and make sure I am taking responsibility for what is mine. So, sometimes, I’m the pot, sometimes I’m the kettle, and I’d just like to say to all you other pots and kettles…..Hello!

No comments: